Saturday, September 6, 2014

More about the plays ( Edited)

[In reading and discussing the concerns and problems on the LEMI group about counting the plays,  this is what I've come up with as a compromise to watching, reading and listening to the plays.]

 I remembered that this always confuses students and parents about reading, watching and listening to the plays. Last year I found it very difficult to follow along with the script while watching the movie. Though it does help in the understanding of the play to read the subtitles. Nearly all movies are edited so subtitles shouldn't count as reading the full script.
So here is the point system I came up with that I hope will be helpful and fair.

  • Watching a movie and reading subtitles only counts as 1 play.
  • Follow along with the script while listening to an unedited audio version counts as 2 plays
  • You can watch multiple versions of a play. Each version 1 play.
  •  Reading the full script on your own, counts as  2 plays.
  • The play we study in class counts, but not until you finish it. 2 plays
  • Having a play read to you, 1 play.
Here are the incentives
  •  Read, watch or listen to 17 or more plays and be crowned King or Queen of Shakespeare.
  •  The first one crowned will be "The Royal Master of the Arts" ( class helper).
  •  The student that reads the most plays will get a prize ( TBD).
 Remember at least 7 plays must be completed for the ten steps. These do count towards the 17.

I challenge second year students to read one more play than last year and to experience new plays.
I hope this was helpful. Please let me know if you have questions or concerns.
 

6 comments:

  1. Can the students from last year watch any of the same plays that they watched last year?

    ReplyDelete
  2. the counting starts over, but I encourage them to study plays that are new or learn something new from a play they have already viewed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So because I am new, bare with me as I figure things out. They read 7 plays and then another 17 for the Crowning?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Read, listen, view. I got that part just only typed read.

      Delete
    2. no problem Amber :) their first initial priority is to do 7 plays for the 10 steps, but to be crowned it is a TOTAL of 17 during this semester. is that more clear?

      Delete
  4. Amber, you are correct. David will need to watch, listen to or read seven plays in order to finish the steps to get to go on the field trip. He will need to read, listen to or watch seventeen in order to be crowned. There is a crowning ceremony and then they get crowns that they can then wear to the Shakespeare parent night. Feel free to ask Julie or me any questions that you may have.

    ReplyDelete